Master of business administration (MBA) is an education platform to transform an individual from an average graduate to a next-level business executive with all necessary learning and processing skills. If all the MBA programs provided by numerous institutions across the globe can achieve the mentioned task is an open question, though. However, I will leave that concern for another occasion to discuss.
Post-COVID World & Online Education
Before the corona pandemic hit humanity, online and distance education courses were highly demanded. With the virus and its variances in full swing and the entire population instructed to shut the door and sit inside homes, the significance and distinction of open-distance courses had over regular education courses blurred drastically. However, online courses have substantial limitations compared to a full-time, classroom-oriented education system.
With a lack of professional exposure of its pursuer and the absence of proper knowledge sources in front of them, education through online sources is still a significant challenge for the students for its impact and relevance in their career.
Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) – Champion of Distance Education In India
If one has to trace the origin and legacy of distance education platforms in India, IGNOU (established in 1985 and named after one of the prominent personalities and former prime minister of India, late Indira Gandhi) will be that giant elephant no one can ignore. For years they single-handedly managed distance education courses in India. IGNOU allowed fulfilling their dreams in a very cost-effective way for the students and education aspirants who could not pursue education through conventional full-time education sources. The education gained through IGNOU also scores high in different quality parameters.
IGNOU & MBA (Online)
IGNOU already provides MBA through a distance education platform in the January and June cycles of admission with the criteria of OpenMAT entrance examination for admission. From January 11, 2022, IGNOU also started giving MBA through an online platform. There are a few pros and many cons for Online MBA, which I will share in a different article; now, let us list a few of the highlights from this Online MBA program.
- The School of Management Studies (SOMS), Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), launched the Master of Business Administration (Online) program (MBA) on January 11, 2022. The MBA (online) program is approved by the AICTE. It will be on offer for the January 2022 admission cycle.
- Candidates with a Bachelor’s degree, with 50% marks for the general category and 45%for the reserved category, can take admission into the program without any entrance test.
- Five different specializations allowed are:
- Human Resource Management,
- Financial Management,
- Marketing Management,
- Operations Management
- Services Management.
- Learners have to complete 28 courses spanning four semesters and have 116 credits
- The minimum duration of the program is 2 years. The maximum is 4 years. Multiple media will be used for delivery of MBA (Online) program, which includes Self-Study Material in Digital Form, asynchronous and synchronous counseling, sessions through GyanDarshan, Mobile App, Social media platforms, Gyanvani, and with e-mail support,” the official press release read.
Interested candidates can visit the IGNOU Samarth website https://ignouiop.samarth.edu.in/ to register and apply for the MBA (online) program.